better say hello

There's only need for one forum for now. Discuss development. No advertising or thinly veiled attempts at advertising. Create a single thread for your project and be prepared to show and tell.
BrianBeuken

better say hello

Post by BrianBeuken »

Hi
just thought I should say hello and introduce myself, Im Brian, I'm a game programmer and I've been sober f... sorry wrong meeting.

I'm an old fart, been doing game dev for a long time (early 80's) and now teach it to bright young hopefuls who want to be just like me, short, old,fat and Scottish.

Anyway, I am dropping in because my personal passion project is in need of a little update on the sound systems, I am having some problems with them smoothly changing tunes, and need to refactor so I noticed the interesting streaming tutorial on Indiegamedev blog.. which is nicely done.

Im not above looking at other peoples code to see if it can be done better, but I'm also not one to claim credit for work thats not mine. So I'm checking it out, to see if its better than what I cobbled together and if so I'll use what I can and drop a name check in the credits. And if I need some help with it I'm all signed up now to ask.

The game is a big Space resource managment/combat game... written on the Raspberry pi4 becuase I like it. :) its an ongoing project that I like to show to my students when they complain the Raspberry is crap and they want to play with the PS5 dev kits at my uni. But they can't, till they do something cool on the Pi.
Please fee free to check it out, but its not quite in a playable state yet, still doing a lot of tech stuff and trying to push the Pi4 a bit futher than it was designed for.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW1ndh ... CXfy49DtvA

I'll let you know if the streaming code is helpful.
100goats

Re: better say hello

Post by 100goats »

Hello!

Welcome to the forum.

The graphics of your game look good!

I am a fan of the Raspberry Pi 4 as well and I am also developing a game on it. Although, my game is not pushing Raspberry Pi through graphics, but instead its processing and SPI port.

Do you still have some of your games that you made before the year 2000?
BrianBeuken

Post by BrianBeuken »

thanks its a fun little machine which I enjoy pushing beyond its limits.

No I don't really keep files once I move on to the next project, I've had a lot of retro people ask me this,hoping I've got source for old contet, but msot of my early stuff was written on Tatung Einsteins or very early PC's using floppies and stuff which tended to get lost, and I never really cared to keep track of it. Also these days I change machines every 4/5 years or so and don't really keep the drives.
BrianBeuken

Post by BrianBeuken »

Im finding the streaming audio code troublesome as it refuses to open callbacks

ov_open_callbacks(reinterpret_cast<void*>(&audioData), &audioData.oggVorbisFile, nullptr, -1, oggCallbacks);

retuns OV_EBADHEADER

desptie the fact the ogg file is valid and does actually play on my own, (but faulty) streaming code. I can't really work out what the issue is here.

edit, so I got the call backs to open (no, I don't quite know but a repaste of the seek and read callbacks fixed it)
But its only reading the header now, when it tries to do its fiest read when sizeConsumed is at 27b2 it throws a segmentation error, which I am confused by... I'll keep prodding around!
BrianBeuken

Post by BrianBeuken »

fixed it, my bad (as usual)
I'd renamed the NUM_BUFFERS variable to NUM_StreamBUFFERS to avoid confusion with some other buffers I was using and had missed the usage in the code...

I'm now playing oggs, will experiment a bit now with swapping tunes and fading volumes.
BrianBeuken

Post by BrianBeuken »

Ok so a few more tweaks and the sound is now nice and stable and multi channel with a few small features like fades and oneshots and loops.

As promised I've namechecked indigamedev.net and want to thank you for your help

https://www.patreon.com/posts/sound-sys ... re_creator