Field & Chair

There's only need for one forum for now. Discuss development. No advertising or thinly veiled attempts at advertising. Create a single thread for your project and be prepared to show and tell.
Deckhead
Site Admin

Field & Chair

Post by Deckhead »

So here we go. Another attempt at a game. Maybe this one will work out.

It's a two-player co-op game. One player is the guy in the field. The other player is the guy in the chair. Together, they need to complete objectives within missions.

The objectives would be some variation of "steal the item". The missions would be the level. I think they would be handcrafted.

The guy in the field has a cone of vision and a gun, he does all the hard work. He cuts the wire to unlock the door, he runs past a guard when they're looking the other way.

The guy in the chair tells him when to run. He looks up the security specs to figure out which wire to cut. He hacks into the CCTV to watch out for guards. The blueprints of the building are on the screen in front of him.

I'm thinking it's a top-down 2D experience for the guy in the field, and a 2D desktop sim for the guy in the chair.

So far I'm just planning it out. There's a lot of ideas swimming around. I need to make sure that both players are active and engaged at least most of the time. I like the idea of giving them lots of objectives in large open missions, like the new Hitman games.
Developer of The Last Boundary and webmaster of IndieGameDev.net
100goats

Re: Field & Chair

Post by 100goats »

Interesting idea!

Asymmetric gameplay!

It would be cool to play this on 2 separate computers and use a chat client in-game to communicate.
Deckhead
Site Admin

Post by Deckhead »

Yeah so definitely planning on network play. It wouldn't suit to do split screen.

Chat wouldn't be enough. Maybe some quick emote buttons? Otherwise voip.
100goats

Post by 100goats »

What library are you planning to use for network play?
Deckhead
Site Admin

Post by Deckhead »

100goats wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:43 am What library are you planning to use for network play?
I have my own library that I created a while ago. It's based off the ideas from Valve's networking. Server-client architecture, but I think one client will act as the server. Each client renders a little bit behind the server just so the two players are seeing the same things (compensates for lag etc).
100goats

Post by 100goats »

Nice! It is cool that you are rolling your own networking library.