Spacegame-early stage, long way gone, need feedback

There's only need for one forum for now. Discuss development. No advertising or thinly veiled attempts at advertising. Create a single thread for your project and be prepared to show and tell.
ctx890

Spacegame-early stage, long way gone, need feedback

Post by ctx890 »

Hi!

i work on a game set in space. I am only self-taught and this is my first Unity project.
I am really afraid and i need some feedback from other people who are playing spacegames.

I would really appreciate it if you would take a look.

Link: https://rocketgungames.weebly.com/

Thanks!
ShortroundDev

Re: Spacegame-early stage, long way gone, need feedback

Post by ShortroundDev »

Sorry, I'm a little confused. Are the screenshots from your game, or are they concept art? From the description it sounds like you haven't made a game yet but are still in the idea phase, but the screenshots look pretty far along
:geek: :ugeek:
Deckhead
Site Admin

Post by Deckhead »

Those screenshots look very well done, are they concept art or part of what you've already done?

Based on your description, it sounds like a pretty standard Freespace kind of game. Nothing wrong with that, I've personally put in many hours into X3.
Developer of The Last Boundary and webmaster of IndieGameDev.net
ctx890

Post by ctx890 »

Hello !

Thank you for your interest!

The pictures are screenshots of my game, but i haven't done the 3d models by myself. I will change the description.
By saying that it should feel like a little ( and very tiny would fit better ) mmo, i wanted to say what i hope to finish in the end.

Unfortunately there is still is so much work to be done..
I don't know if you can imagine how much work this needs.
If you think it compares good to Freespace, thank you but i try to let it look more in the way of a little sto..
i have 3 different camera views ( one will be inside), crafting jobs, PvP, an economy.
Deckhead
Site Admin

Post by Deckhead »

I'm all for shooting for the stars, but it sounds like you might need a reality check.

Firstly, you will not finish this game. Not right now anyway. I'm not saying you shouldn't try, I'd even suggest you give it a go. But come to terms with the fact you won't finish it, but will instead learn a lot along the way.

Second, if you want to attempt this game, dial it back. You can do an MMO but I bet you know nothing about network architecture to support large numbers of players. How about, you make it a client/server game where multiple people can log in at the same time. The server world can be persistent if you want, but I suggest the game be more like Quake. I.e. When the server goes down, the world is dead with it.

Have 1 spaceship and one camera view. That will be enough for you.

Have 1 type of "mission", that will be enough.

If you can get something working where you and I can exist in the same game and do a single "quest" together, you've proved you can continue. Until you get to that minimal game, don't plan an MMO.
Developer of The Last Boundary and webmaster of IndieGameDev.net
ctx890

Post by ctx890 »

The problem what i have is to find motivation. That's why i asked for some encouraging feedback.

i wanted to make something where i and others could have fun with. That's why i tried many things and
it seems to me now as if this game is probably makeable.
You are right, i definitely don't know much about network architecture.
It might look as if i didn't start networking at all.
i can run a server with the unity built-in network. Other clients can connect to.
This is my first network in my game, which acts as the roof.
For the gameworld i use Photon. So the server knows where how many people are in which locations and assign all clients to their
location where they want to be.
This is what i made. I know that this is not a good solution, but i think i can't code/own a single Server which
commands 2000 or more npcs simultaneously in a gameworld set in space with floating-origins, where different
locations are not "walkable" from one to the other side, but honestly it can be that i am wrong with that.

What i have done so far, is, server assigns clients to Photon-rooms, the clients can fly and shoot together, damage calculation is networked.
They can change location. But i need to send many variables of the npcs from the room-host to other clients for the case the host leaves.
So some networking is already done. i ran a WAMP-Server too. I know how to let people register, send confirmation mails,
have access to mySQL.
You are certainly right that i need to step back with some things.
Is this network attempt totally bad in your eyes ?