Door To Life Feedback

There's only need for one forum for now. Discuss development. No advertising or thinly veiled attempts at advertising. Create a single thread for your project and be prepared to show and tell.
Deckhead
Site Admin

Re: Door To Life Feedback

Post by Deckhead »

How are you going to handle the two different players controls?
Developer of The Last Boundary and webmaster of IndieGameDev.net
100goats

Post by 100goats »

SDL2 makes it easy.

Basically, events from the keyboard and joystick are polled for input
and player 1is limited to the keyboard and other players are limited to separate gamepads.

I need to change some code to get joystick to work properly for a system originally intended for keyboard only.

Edit:
I am basically stuck on this right now. Event polling doesn't work too well.
One player moving stops another player's movement.

Edit 2:
I got the event handling working. Basically I gave each player a separate input event stack and pushed all keyboard events to player 1 event stack
and all joystick 1 events to player 2 event stack.

Edit 3:
I am actually using a queue container not a stack since the first event in should be the first event processed and removed.
100goats

Post by 100goats »

I finally got the game working well for 2 players.

This multiplayer game addition is opening up even more innovative gameplay possibilities than I thought it would.

I decided that I am going to make the multiplayer mode a free-form competitive / cooperative Zelda inspired game.

I plan to have each mini dungeon in the labyrinth serve the purpose of giving 1 player an item or power-up.

I also plan to put in a choice at the end of the final boss fight in which players must choose between winning the game as a
team or having 1 player win the game.
If just 1 player disagrees with winning the game as a team, then, the players must compete with each other to win the game.
100goats

Post by 100goats »

I just released Door To Life version 0.3.

Multiplayer has been implemented successfully.
The general area for the golden tile location is shown on the submap which has proven to be a good game design decision.
It makes the game immediately interesting by showing something that the player can be curious about and explore.

It takes a few minutes to play the game now, but occasionally the labyrinth gets challenging to solve
because the exit is blocked on 3 sides.

Edit:
Link
https://goatrus.itch.io/door-to-life