Hey guys, I would love some feedback on my metroidvania game!

There's only need for one forum for now. Discuss development. No advertising or thinly veiled attempts at advertising. Create a single thread for your project and be prepared to show and tell.
sweepingavalanche

Hey guys, I would love some feedback on my metroidvania game!

Post by sweepingavalanche »

Hey everyone, my name is Simon Lars and I am the solo developer of the metroivania game called Devoul- Curse of the Soulless. At the moment I only have gameplay videos (Lots of them) and a playable DEMO of the game, but neverteless I would love to get some feedback on the game. Anything is wellcome! Thanks a lot for your time (I leave a link to a gameplay video on youtube and the itch.io site with some info on the game and the DEMO).
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxvzOz ... mSSxsfVQAw
Itch.io site: https://sweepingavalanche.itch.io/devoul
Deckhead
Site Admin

Re: Hey guys, I would love some feedback on my metroidvania game!

Post by Deckhead »

Hey I just played some of the demo. My first thoughts:
  • There seems like there's a frame missing in the running animation, like my guys trips. I think adding some additional frames overall to the animation would make it feel a lot smoother, but I understand if that's not the kind of graphics you're going for
  • The controls are nice and responsive. But it would be great if I could remap the controls in the full game, I kept using A to jump and B to attack.
  • The resolution couldn't be changed, which greatly impacted me on my Surface Pro, the left and right edges of the screen were not visible.
  • It would be great if the basic attack could be directional. Again, it's however you want your game to be, but for me, I was frantically trying to shoot that force field from my blade at the ghosts
  • The lighting from the ghosts is cool too
  • Overall the graphics are nice
  • I feel like when I'm jumping, I'm jumping too much sometimes. It would be good if there could be a short press of jump vs long-press.
  • The cutscenes were a nice addition, though the writing is a bit bad, for example "I get why you don't want to talk about your past"... I don't know, it seems very basic. But then again, if you're just using story for a bit of framing, don't worry about it (Castlevania has some of the worst writing ever).
I did find the game a little hard, but I'm not very good at these kinds of games. A lot of what I've said above may be coloured by the fact that Symphony of The Night is pretty much the only game like this I've ever played.

Keep going though; what you've got there now is pretty fun.
Developer of The Last Boundary and webmaster of IndieGameDev.net
sweepingavalanche

Hey thanks for such a long post! That is a lot for me to work with. I am glad you like it and I will look to all thoses points you talked about, really good feedback :)
Deckhead
Site Admin

Post by Deckhead »

sweepingavalanche wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:34 am Hey thanks for such a long post! That is a lot for me to work with. I am glad you like it and I will look to all thoses points you talked about, really good feedback :)
No worries, I'm following you on itch for the next update.
Developer of The Last Boundary and webmaster of IndieGameDev.net
100goats

Post by 100goats »

I like this game! It is fun!

How do I get the non-demo version?

I noticed that you designed these levels very purposefully based on the abilities of the enemies.
I do like the art style.

I do have suggestions to make it better.

The game starts you off with too much health.
I would like a hard mode to start with less health so that I have more incentive to carefully play and carefully defeat enemies.

Also it was difficult to play with the keyboard. Please add a way to remap the keyboard buttons.
sweepingavalanche

Hey, first of all really sorry for such a long time to answer. The game only has a DEMO at the moment, you can get it and play it here https://sweepingavalanche.itch.io/devoul
About the rest of your feedback I will take it into account, some of them I can share it with you now. The game will have a harder mode after beating the main story mode, and this mode is quite hard. Neverteless the main story game is also harder as that fisrt area in the demo is only a kind of tutorial area. The game gest a bit harder in area 2 and after that. You will probably be needing more HP then XD
Last edited by sweepingavalanche on Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sweepingavalanche

100goats wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 5:27 am I like this game! It is fun!

How do I get the non-demo version?

I noticed that you designed these levels very purposefully based on the abilities of the enemies.
I do like the art style.

I do have suggestions to make it better.

The game starts you off with too much health.
I would like a hard mode to start with less health so that I have more incentive to carefully play and carefully defeat enemies.

Also it was difficult to play with the keyboard. Please add a way to remap the keyboard buttons.
Hey, first of all really sorry for such a long time to answer. The game only has a DEMO at the moment, you can get it and play it here https://sweepingavalanche.itch.io/devoul
About the rest of your feedback I will take it into account, some of them I can share it with you now. The game will have a harder mode after beating the main story mode, and this mode is quite hard. Neverteless the main story game is also harder as that fisrt area in the demo is only a kind of tutorial area. The game gest a bit harder in area 2 and after that. You will probably be needing more HP then XD
sweepingavalanche

Hey guys, sorry for not post any news recently... Lots of hard work.
Today I have a new video tho. Some gameplay of a new area in the game, I hope you guys like it and as always feel free to comment or give feedback :)

[video][/video]
sweepingavalanche

New video Trailer

I also leave you guys my most recent trailer :)
[video][/video]
100goats

Post by 100goats »

The gameplay looks great!